Pam's Place

Friday, August 12, 2005

Launch

Early this morning at Cape Canaveral (and right on time), a rocket lifted into space the new Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter--an item that will provide the sharpest photos ever taken of the red planet, as well as provide various science objectives . In the months to come, the orbiter will send interesting data back to Earth to be viewed and studied, but it is not the payload that the rocket carried this mission that has my attention--it is the rocket itself. The Lockheed Martin Atlas V provided transport from our planet to outerspace, and the reason that interests me is because of the connection it has to my dad. Dad was an engineer for LM, and helped design part of the Atlas V. This was not the first successful launch of this model of rocket--others have flown before, but this particular one I find special because of a small addition made to the rocket that lifted today. In the photo above, you can see a section of the rocket--do you happen to notice the white square in the center? The other photo shows a close-up of the words printed. It says

"The Employees of Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company dedicate the launch of AV-007, carrying the Mars Reconnaissance orbiter, to the memory of Terry Eflin, Joe Littlefield, Bob Mack, Larry Medlock, and Bruce Shoemaker. The Atlas Team will always remember our friends who now have a heavenly view of the launch. May their spirits guide us to success. Lockheed Martin. Go Atlas...Go Centaur..."

I am so pleased and thrilled that this small decal attached to the side of a big ol' rocket bears my dad's name--what an honor! (and his name is listed first! I just think that makes it stand out!) Want to see the launch?
A side story: A few years back, dad invited me to his place of work for a little tour. At the entrance gate, I signed in for my special visitors badge, and then from there, dad showed me his current office, other buildings in which he had worked in the past, the areas that he'd see wildlife while on his walks, and such. One memory I have of that day was when we went to the "clean room". A section of the rocket was being assembled, and apparently needed to be done free from the everyday grit of the outside world. Prior to access to the room, we had to cover our street clothes with clean room garb. This included pants, jacket, booties and a shower cap-type hair net. I remember the inside of the large room was white. Very white and very clean! Sure would have been neat to have a few photos from in there (even if I had a camera with me, I'm sure photos would not be allowed!)--photos of the outfit I was in would have been a fun bonus--LOL! There in the clean room, dad was able to show the physical parts of his design in place, waiting for its own mission. I'm sure I didn't understand half of what he was saying, but it sure was interesting to be in there with him as he described the capabilities and parts and purpose. I'm proud that he had a hand in the making of this product, and an opportunity to fly "with" it this morning.

6 Comments:

  • I sure like the way you described the launch, Pam, and the pictures are great!

    Uncle Ken

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/12/2005 6:42 AM  

  • This is so special. I'm glad you shared it with us. It must be exciting to be part of this "frontier" program even though it's in the shadow of the loss of your Dad. Cherish and celebrate the memories.

    Thanks for your blog, in general. I am always blessed by it.

    Debby

    By Blogger Deb, at 8/12/2005 9:01 AM  

  • Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your memories of the time with your dad. I thought of you this morning when I heard about the successful launch of the rocket. And every time I hear reports about the mission to Mars I will think of your family. The rocket and the plaque are great tributes to your dad--but you are a better one!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/12/2005 11:26 AM  

  • What a cool memorial from your dad's colleagues. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    By Blogger Stacy, at 8/12/2005 9:36 PM  

  • Oh-I'm so excited for you! That's a HUGE honor, and I know how much all of those people deserve it. I'll think of your dad whenever I hear about this news story. This is a lovely tribute to him. I know he's so proud of you and your mom, and how you share your love for him, and keep his memory alive! What a happy day for your family! Congratulations!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/13/2005 1:28 AM  

  • Thank you, Pam, for posting the most impressive photo I have yet seen of the rocket, ready to go. Thanks to Terry, I feel like a bit of our Eflin roots are now in space.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/18/2005 6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home