Pam's Place

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

::Herd::

When I go to the zoo, the animal I want most to see is the giraffe. I love seeing them walk--I think they have a certain grace and elegance. And the long purple tongues make me laugh. Several years ago, knowing my like for these creatures, my mother bought a wooden statue of one as a gift and I took it to work. Someone asked why I had a giraffe on my desk, and once the word got out how much I like them, it wasn't long before I had a herd. I have received giraffes in all shapes, sizes, and materials (toys, candles, wood, stuffed, lamp, coasters, frames, pitcher, books, pins, socks, and so on). They come from stores around town, yard sales, and even as souvenirs friends have brought from traveling overseas. I admit that even my previous cell phone had a giraffe faceplate on it--better than the basic black that it was! People let me know if they've heard about a new giraffe born at the zoo; they let me know if they saw a TV special that included a giraffe; they let me know if they saw a giraffe item and thought of me. About ninety-five percent of my collection lives at work--within my cube (or are stored). Co-workers like how personalized my space is, and some will try to guess which is the latest addition!
How many do I have? Too many to count!

4 Comments:

  • Ah... now the herd is explained. ;) Last week at the zoo we got to see the giraffes comes out of their barn and into the exhibit. I didn't notice their graceful walk so much as their haste to get to the morning chow! LOL

    By Blogger Stacy, at 7/26/2005 5:27 PM  

  • Amazing what I learn from blogs. I had no idea giraffes have purple tongues!! I think they have a graceful gate too. Do you know Abby, one of the scrappingrannies? She loves giraffes too and has one as her avatar. Now I've got to get to the zoo just to look at those tongues. :0)

    By Blogger Betty Jo, at 7/27/2005 5:56 AM  

  • Now every time I see a giraffe, I'll think of you, too! ;)

    Ann (brownie13)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/27/2005 6:43 AM  

  • You'll have to come on down to Abilene, TX. We actually have a zoo & the main attraction is the giraffe exhibit. There is a bridge that goes over their yard & you can purchase food to give them. There's nothing like a giraffe wrapping it's tongue around your fingers!! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/22/2005 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home