Pam's Place

Monday, August 01, 2005

::Quilt::

My good friend Julie likes to tell me of her latest craft project, and many times it has to do with making a quilt. She makes them for her nephews, for baby showers, for family, and I get to hear about the materials she selected, or the pattern she chose, or even why she wants to a particular quilt a particular way. I enjoy hearing about what phase she's in with a project, especially when I can hear the enthusiasm in her voice about how it's working out, or the anticipation she has of giving it. Now, often times I feel inspired by her to do my own quilting. Inspired, but not necessarily motivated! (Does that make sense? She gives me good thoughts and ideas, but I don't always act on them. That's what I mean.)
Two and a half years ago, I had great intentions of getting started in a new quilt top. I have all the materials, and the pieces are all cut. My sweetie had given me a gift of having my sewing machine completely serviced so it was in perfect working condition. And it's been sitting there ready to go. But it wasn't until a few days ago that I sewed my first stitch. And with multiple stitches, the pieces turned into a quilt block! (Yup, that's it in the photo). I have twelve to do, or maybe thirteen, all a different pattern. Each block is fairly simple as suggested by the one in the photo, but I think once all the blocks are pieced together, it could look quite lovely (and simple is good--I don't want to overchallenge myself on a craft that I do rarely)! So I will try to work diligently on each block in the weeks to come, and one of these days I'll have a quilt. With one block finished, I'm already much further along than I have been for two and a half years...

3 Comments:

  • Go Pam! My little monsters put a real crimp in my quilting. I just gave my mom 2 projects that I'd been working on but hadn't gotten anywhere on lately. LOL

    By Blogger Stacy, at 8/01/2005 4:47 PM  

  • Beautiful job P! I've done a few small quilts, and it's so hard to keep everything all straight and lined up! You're well on your way to a beautiful work-of-art! Can't wait to see it! Keep sewin'!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/01/2005 9:31 PM  

  • Terrific job on your quilt block. Looking forward to seeing the finished top. My mother was a quilter. All I have left from her are two quilts, besides memories. One she gave me years ago, it is now used as my bedspread. The other I received from my brother after my mother's death. I've had it for several years, but only recently was I able to take it out and look at it without such sorrow. I was just thinking recently that I must do a scrap page based on the quilt--then I found your quilt entry. Thanks for the reminder Pam. :0)

    By Blogger Betty Jo, at 8/04/2005 4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home