Pam's Place

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

::My feet HURT::

It isn't everyday that I spend hours at a time on my feet, and certainly not three days in a row, but that's how it was yesterday, the day before, and the day before. I took time off of work so I could be an extra designer at the floral shop--do you have any idea how busy florists are at Valentine's Day?! Yah, flowers seem to be a popular gift choice for someone special! Oh yes, I knew that, and I anticipated being busy, but wow--I now know how mentally and physically draining the business is. And probably even more so for the owners/managers of the shop.
It was great practice, so I'm pleased for the opportunity to test my skills that I learned in school. So glad the owners are happy to give me that chance! I truly am there to help and learn and practice. So, on the day of love, I was able to spend time doing something I love--being with flowers.
It wasn't a stroll in the garden however. No strolling--only clipping, snipping, hauling, lifting, laughing, talking, helping, chopping, filling, arranging, trimming, making, creating, questioning, searching, standing, selecting, bending, answering, holding, pouring, cleaning, opening, sweeping, shifting, draining, processing, tying, tripping, reaching, cutting, calling, commenting, dropping, carrying, turning, head shaking, hurrying, carpooling, reassuring, spilling, order-taking, assisting, pricing, spritzing, smelling, encouraging and designing. Sitting? Only when using the restroom. Eating? Only now and then--never time for a meal.
It's amazing how many people shop for flowers like it's late Christmas Eve--last minute, after work, mostly men lined up hoping to find something for their special someone. (Hint for the future: select a different gift, or plan ahead and order in advance--thanks! LOL!)
I am wiped out. Tired. Drained. All good experience though.
Now we anticipate Easter, proms, and Mother's Day....

{photo NOT my own--it's an image from the internet...}

4 Comments:

  • oh, too funny… I thought I was the only one that took vacation time from my job to help in flower shops during Valentines and Mothers day!!!! I haven't done it the last couple of years… but originally I got started delivery driving on Valentines for a friend - I was the driver - she jumped out and delivered… well, the first delivery was to my Pastors wife and daughters - and I took a turn too quick… and well, we had to kinda prop the flowers back up in their respective vases… then there was the balloon that popped in my face… and the delivery that my friend got stuck standing out in the rain talking to the recipients… so that was a great initiation to flower shops… from there I took orders and then finally designed - only to hang up my tools and apron 2 years ago… but yes, I too took vacation time to PLAY in the flower shops! Kudos to you and your feet!!!! (I loved it, my job won't let me have vacation if I'm working it!!!) so, cheers!!!

    By Blogger pattyanne, at 2/16/2006 11:51 PM  

  • Great to see a post from you. Do you want to have your own flower shope someday? If so, don't forget I've always been nice to you. LOL! Sounds exhausting, but I'm glad you had a good time. The photo of the roses is beautiful!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/17/2006 12:39 AM  

  • Good grief - I am played out reading this - get some rest girl!! So glad it was a good experience though!! LOVE that picture of the roses too!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/17/2006 2:18 PM  

  • Oh wow.. amazing that so many florists need extra help on valentines! LOL I bet your work has been lovely! YOu will have to take photos of it and share one day! ;-)

    I hope you recovered ok! LOL

    By Blogger clikchic, at 3/19/2006 5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home