Pam's Place

Monday, January 16, 2006

::Forecast was for snow...::

...but it rained instead!
Today is Martin Luther King Jr Day, and I have the day off. No big plans, and since the forecast had called for snow, I thought it would ba good day to stay home and "get things done". That's what I was doing when I heard pounding on my my door. Now usually I don't answer the door at my apartment unless I'm expecting someone, or I sense an urgency. The pounding was urgent and the yelling from the other side of the door indicated the unit below me was flooding, so I decided I better open the door. After I got dressed real quick (hey, it was my day off and I hadn't gotten that far!) that is. I hadn't been to the laundry area since I'd started the machine but I soon noticed the floor was now a small lake. Yikes! I grabbed towels and threw them down, opened up the door, and the maintenace guys were in super fast. In no time, then had the shopvac in and sucking water, and I rushed downstairs to see what was going on in the unit below. Like I said--it rained. It was like a shower in their place just below my washer area. There were firemen there. No fire, but in my neighbor's panic, she called them just in case. My apartment claims it's a faulty part (water level regulator?) to my washing machine--I'm getting a new machine in 2 days!--and that it is not my fault. I really hope not--I feel bad enough as it is! Really no damaged to my place--just the need to run this blower thing for 24 hours to dry my carpet (not very quiet!), but they have a mess below. I helped move some things, but not quite sure how else to help out.
Usually I run my washer at night--I'm glad this was during the day instead so people didn't have to get up and come help then.
Lost my momentum--haven't done much since (except scrapbook!)

3 Comments:

  • I know me. I'd feel all guilty and upset even though it wasn't my fault! That must've been quite horrible to go through. Remember you're not at fault, so don't worry about it! BIG HUG!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/20/2006 4:21 PM  

  • Oh dear! What a drama! Thank goodness there was no serious damage done.

    I have caused a flood myself... I had to fill our new/second hand water bed and it was taking forever so I decided to go nap on the couch thinking it would be HOURS before it was full.

    Big mistake.. I woke up to a flooded bedroom. We had to call in people to clean it up to prevent damage to the carpet. Dh was not in the least bit happy about it! LOL

    By Blogger clikchic, at 1/30/2006 2:27 AM  

  • Oh Dear what a mess! We live in an upstiar's apartment too, so I'll be sure to keep my eyes on the washer. So glad you did your laundry during the day this time.

    Pam be sure to check out my blog today. I think there might be a few things there that you will recognize. :0)

    By Blogger Betty Jo, at 2/06/2006 5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home